Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Where do you stand? --- University policy on Jail broken mobile device access to secure networks.

From: Brian Helman <bhelman () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 20:46:33 +0000

I think your last statement says it all.  There is that (false?) sense of security from Apple, but let's compare that
to Microsoft's security model.  *cough*.  In the end, I wonder if there is anything we can do (or care to do) about the
end-device rather than handling security at a network level.

As far as SSH, I remember under 4.x there was a tweak that allowed you to prevent the SSH server from auto starting.
As far as I've seen, under 5.x it doesn't exist.  I reboot my JB 5.x devices far less than I did under 4, but I need to
remember to turn off the SSH service.

So, let's assume we want to prohibit these devices on the network, or even just certain (ie "secure" networks).  I've
been thinking about it, and other than visual inspections, I'm not sure how you could do this.  Policies are easy.
Enforcement .. not so much.  Thoughts?

-Brian