Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Where do you stand? --- University policy on Jail broken mobile device access to secure networks.

From: Brian Helman <bhelman () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:25:12 +0000

I'm curious what brought this topic up?

From a security standpoint, I see no reason why rooted/JB devices shouldn't be supported.  Granted, the "sandboxing"
has been defeated, but we're seeing that your device doesn't need to be JB for apps to access data outside of their
normal control anyway.  And, other than the possibility of an SSH server running by default (with the default password
unchanged), there's been no proof that JB devices are less secure than stock items.  In fact, I'd argue the opposite
-- JB devices are often more secure, because they can be patched in a more targeted fashion.  This issue with Apple
devices broadcasting past wireless network information will probably get patched on the JB side before Apple does it
officially.

As far as policy, we do support JB devices.  In Fact, we use them.  Apple forced us to do this when they removed most
of the network tools (e.g wififofum and WiFiAnalyzer) from the App Store.

-Brian