Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Disclaimers

From: Alan Amesbury <amesbury () OITSEC UMN EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:17:34 -0500

Eh, I'm late to this party, but I'd say those disclaimers are only somewhat less useless than putting a similar disclaimer into your SMTP banner. For example:

% dig mx example.edu
;example.edu.                        IN      MX
example.edu.         18000   IN      MX      10 mail.example.edu.
% nc mail.example.edu 25
220 mail.example.edu ESMTP By connecting to this server you agree that you will only send e-mail to authorized recipients. Sending your e-mail to unauthorized recipients, whether deliberate or accidental, will result in you being billed for cleanup time incurred in trying to eradicate all copies of the e-mail. This work is billed in one hour increments at $350/hour, with a ten hour minimum.
QUIT
221 2.0.0 Bye

In theory this would prevent e-mail from being sent to unauthorized recipients, with the option to bill for cleanup in cases where unauthorized recipients receive the e-mail and it has to be cleaned up.

That said, if you believe this would be effective in preventing people from sending unauthorized e-mails to the system above, I would very much like to be your consultant in implementing said system.

--
Alan Amesbury
OIT Security and Assurance