Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical HDD destruction

From: Brian Helman <bhelman () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 18:59:39 +0000

I've heard that the next version of SpinRight from Gibson Research is going to include a disk-wiper.  Steve Gibson
appears to know his stuff, so I'm not entirely skeptical that a software solution isn't a bad idea (how's that for a
quadruple-negative!?) .. ie I'm inclined to believe it would work.  Right now, our students take a hammer, drill, et al
to the drives.  If the drives can be safely (both from digital and physical-safety perspectives) wiped and recycled,
isn't that a better thing?

-Brian Helman