Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA and E-mailing grades

From: Dean Halter <Dean.Halter () NOTES UDAYTON EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 10:44:24 -0500

I agree that course management systems and ERPs are better ways of
accessing/providing this information.  That said, I'm not sure that FERPA
prohibits use of email to provide grade information.  Whether internal or
contracted w/ a provider (Google, for example, is a "school official" per
contract within Google Apps for Edu), I believe you should be able to use
email as long as the solution is "secure."  Making sure faculty and staff
address the information from and to university provided accounts is as
important as the technical transport and storage.  Students, on the other
hand, should be able to forward or share their mail if they choose.  Very
interesting conversation and I appreciate everyone’s insight.

Dean
Dean Halter, CISA, CISSP
IT Risk Management Officer, UDit
University of Dayton

"Security is a process, not a product."  Bruce Schneier