Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: web application scanning

From: Indir Avdagic <iavdagic () SEAS HARVARD EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:28:53 +0000

We use couple different commercial web application scanners. Most frequently we use Cenzic's Hailstorm Application Risk
Controller. This scanner combines pretty high accuracy with a very low rate of false positives. Vulnerability discovery
is driven by the "Smart Attack" library, which encapsulates best practices to test attack resistance. Also, this tool
generates good reports with web vulnerability summary, total vulnerability risk score, and details on all the specific
findings, but I'm not enormously impressed with the fit and finish of the user interface.

I hope this helps.

Indir Avdagic, CISM, CISSP, ACSA, TICSA
Director of Information Security
Harvard University - SEAS
Email: indir_avdagic () harvard edu
Phone: (617) 496-3502

"There is an infinite capacity to improve everything"