Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: web application scanning

From: Seth Hall <seth () ICIR ORG>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:21:18 -0500

On Feb 7, 2012, at 2:44 PM, Michael Sheinberg wrote:

Does anyone here have any recommendations for tools (preferably
open-source) that will scan web-servers for vulnerable application
frameworks + plug-ins?

We've been seeing people have great success with Bro-IDS by monitoring their network traffic.  Bro 2.0 has a script
that it ships with that does web application detection too.  I wouldn't have terribly high hopes at large-ish
universities of actually *finding* most of the applications on the network by scanning.

At OSU (Ohio) I used Bro to detect SQL injection attacks with the idea that what the attackers attacked was most
important.  It turns out that you have attackers hitting sql injection vulnerabilities on your sites all the time.  It
ended up changing the way I approached web application scanning because there were so many actively attacked sites that
I rarely had to go and find sites to test.

There are some other universities taking this approach now and it seems to be fairly successful for networks with large
numbers of non-centrally controlled web sites.  I view out-of-date open source web applications as a fairly similar
situation where *finding* them is a surprisingly large part of the problem and just discovering them makes it possible
to clean up the whole network.

  .Seth

--
Seth Hall