Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dynamic Internet Bandwidth Allocation

From: Christopher R Mielke <chris.mielke () DRAKE EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 15:09:46 +0000

We do this exact thing with our Exinda appliance. The student/campus
percentage split is 60/40 from 8AM-6PM (M-F) and 90/10 on nights and
weekends.

Thanks,

Chris Mielke
NETWORK ENGINEER 3
COMPUTER AND NETWORK SERVICES
DRAKE UNIVERSITY

On 2/1/12 8:59 AM, "Gary Flynn" <flynngn () JMU EDU> wrote:

Miller,James R wrote:
We are looking at combining our residence hall network with the campus
network. The current structure of using a separate ISP for the residence
halls seems a little more expensive. Still using separate IP structure,
but we are looking at scheduling the majority of our bandwidth for the
main campus during normal classroom hours and then dynamically
allocating a large portion of the bandwidth for the residence halls to
have available after hours.. Without too much study so far, it appears
that our Exinda traffic shaping appliance may be capable of achieving
this with virtual circuits and scheduling. Is there anyone out there
doing this currently, and if so would you mind sharing what equipment or
software you are using to do this?

We do this with Procera hardware. If you're interested,
I'll put you in touch with our networking folks who
manage it.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer