Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: the value of privacy and differing perceptions

From: Tim Doty <tdoty () MST EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:27:10 -0600

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 13:24 -0600, Tonkin, Derek K. wrote:
I appreciate the lively debate and I hope that we are all learning something from this discussion.  Following Vik and
Timothy's line of thinking, how should we present this kind of opportunity?  I gather that some have an issue with
calling it free which is an acceptable critique but if not free, how should this be promoted to students, faculty, &
staff?  What wording would be acceptable?

That is a real problem for us being users of English. The word 'free'
has such broad meaning (ranging from 'free of charge' to 'free as in
beer'). Free can have connotations of 'cheap'. Free for some people
implies something else is being taken (the principle of "there ain't no
such thing as a free lunch").

Personally, I hope the term 'libre' gains currency, but I don't hold out
much hope for that happening within society at large. But if it did, it
would allow better clarification of such things.

Tim Doty

Thanks again,
Derek