Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing E-mail Procedures

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:22:56 +0000

I have a sort of self-imposed process for handling phishing that goes like this:

1) part of our Internet Skeptic campaign includes encouraging people to forward recently received phish and other
dangerous looking messages to phish () usu edu.  They are also encouraged to forward all unblocked spam to our spam ()
usu edu address for automated reporting to Ironport, our spam firewall vendor.

2) I investigate, including checking our email delivery logs for other recipients.

3) I compile a list of those recipients and send them a message that explains the nature of the mischief including the
misuse of the prior victims, and how to recover from mistakes the recipient might have already made (clicking on
attachment or providing password).  I congratulate those who ignored the scam and encourage them NOT to reply to me.

4) Since we have fairly recently converted to a single enterprise email system, and have a huge list of old email
aliases left over from the transition, I encourage users to go to the interface we provide for alias management and
remove old alias addresses that are usually the bulk of the target list of these spammers.

Bob Bayn          (435)797-2396            IT Security Team
       http://it.usu.edu/security/htm/dont-be-fooled<http://http://it.usu.edu/security/htm/dont-be-fooled>
Office of Information Technology, Utah State University