Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Enterprise Firewalls

From: "Foerst, Daniel P." <FOERST () CUA EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:58:43 +0000

Hey all,

For the past several years we have been operating with Cisco Firewall Services Modules. They have done what we needed
them to do, but they are getting quite a bit long in the tooth.
Recently I was asked what projects I would need funding for in the coming fiscal year and I mentioned the need to
upgrade a set of our FWSMs to be able to accommodate greater increase in our network infrastructure in addition to the
ever changing network security topology.

I am aware that Cisco has recently made their ASA line of firewalls available as a services module to the 6500 & 7600
series chassis switches & routers as the future for the Firewall Services Module.
However I would like to learn what others on this list use for their network security and why they chose a specific
vendor over another. Whatever solution I select will have a minimum of 10Gbps throughput, more likely 20Gbps
So I can make an even comparison between the Cisco ASA services module and another vendor, but I really do not know
what else to search for yet. The idea of next generation firewalls sounds interesting, but I really do not know yet.

Thanks much for anything you are will to share!

-dan

Daniel Foerst
Assistant Director, Networks & Security
The Catholic University of America