Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Enterprise Firewalls

From: "Miller, Richard H" <rick () BCM EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:48:15 -0500

There are several good options out there

Cisco ASAs would be good since you are used to the Cisco technology and it would minimize your
internal cost since you would not have to relearn nor have a major effort in converting your policy

Checkpoint also makes a good product either with their appliances or with a software solution using
commodity hardware. I do have a concern with the ability to handle the higher bandwidth.

Juniper also has an excellent product and we have been very interested in it. It also seems to be positioned
to be able to handle not only the 10GB interfaces but potentially higher interfaces without having to swap
out the entire frame.

The Palo Alto also looks interesting but I would have some capacity concerns.

Are you looking just for firewall or do you also need S2S VPN, C2S VPN and IDS/IPS?. I know all of the
vendors will try to sell you a setup that will do everything but if this is your perimeter, you also might
consider splitting the firewall from the IDP/IPS and web filter. Also, you do need to determine what
your bandwidth requirements will be. I see you want a 10-20 Gbps firewall but will you have a requirement
for a 10GB interface and will your bandwidth requirements approach 10Gbps through a single interface.

Determine what your requirements are and invite the major players in to discuss. You also might
see if you can lab it up in a POC (we captured traffic and then replayed it through the candidates).
You may wish to formalize your requirements into either an RFP or RFQ

We selected based on

*         Best technology

*         Ease in converting our policy to a new vendor (depending on how complex your policy is this is a major
consideration)

*         Training internal staff on administration and engineering of the new gear

And in our case it was better to stay with our current vendor.

Richard H. Miller, CISSP, CCSE+
Information Security Manager
Information Technology Security and Compliance
Information Technology - Baylor College of Medicine