Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Facebook Live Covers Oct. 7 National Cyber Security Awareness Month Launch

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:14:58 +0000

Tomorrow (October 7), NCSA will celebrate National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) with an event in Ypsilanti,
Michigan. For those who cannot attend in person, you'll be able to participate online via Facebook Live from 8:15-11:30
am ET.

More details are included below. Or let them know you'll join the conversation at:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=234019649980638.

Thank you,
Valerie
_______________

Valerie M. Vogel
Program Manager, EDUCAUSE
office: (202) 331-5374
e-mail: vvogel () educause edu<mailto:vvogel () educause edu>
_______________

News Release Issued: October 6, 2011 9:00 AM EDT

Facebook Live Covers National Cyber Security Awareness Month Launch

WASHINGTON, Oct. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) tomorrow will launch
the 8th annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) with an event in Ypsilanti, Michigan that will be
available worldwide on Facebook Live, Facebook's official live video streaming channel.  Viewers will be able to post
questions for speakers during the event, set for Friday, October 7th from 8:15-11:30 a.m. ET.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110504/DC95016LOGO )
In conjunction with the Michigan Cyber Security Summit, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder and other officials will join
NCSA stakeholders and leaders from the Department of Homeland Security to officially kick-off National Cyber Security
Awareness Month.
"We are delighted to have this momentous event available via Facebook Live," said Michael Kaiser, executive director,
National Cyber Security Alliance. "The power of the Internet to allow broad-scale, global communication and
connectivity enriches all our lives. NCSA's partnership with Facebook gives us incredible reach to computer users of
all ages and abilities into this conversation about the need to secure this incredible eco-system and the simple
actions they can take to protect their own devices. My thanks to Facebook CSO and NCSA board member Joe Sullivan for
his incredible support and the expertise he brings to NCSA and will bring to the discussion tomorrow in Michigan."
"Making the Internet safer and more secure requires vigilance and knowledge of how to protect ourselves," Joe Sullivan,
chief security officer, Facebook. "With cyber attacks on the rise, practicing safe online behaviors is more important
than ever. We are excited to participate in National Cyber Security Awareness Month, and we encourage all people who
use Facebook to tune into this live event."
National Cyber Security Awareness Month, conducted every October since 2004, is an annual awareness-raising effort that
seeks to encourage everyone to protect their networks and our nation's critical cyber infrastructure. NCSA works in
collaboration with partners across the country to empower consumers, schools, businesses and government agencies to
stay safe online.
The event will take place on Friday, October 7th from 8:15-11:30 a.m. ET. To join the conversation via Facebook Live,
click here<https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=234019649980638>. For more details on the Michigan Cyber Summit,
click here<http://www.michigan.gov/cybersummit>.
About The National Cyber Security Alliance
The National Cyber Security Alliance is a nonprofit organization. Through collaboration with the government, corporate,
nonprofit and academic sectors, the mission of the NCSA is to empower a digital citizenry to use the Internet securely
and safely protecting themselves, the networks they use, and the cyber infrastructure. NCSA works to create a culture
of cyber security and safety through education and awareness activities. Visit
www.staysafeonline.org<http://www.staysafeonline.org/> for more information.
About National Cyber Security Awareness Month
National Cyber Security Awareness month now in its 6th year is a coordinated effort of the National Cyber Security
Alliance, The Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and The Multi-State Information Sharing and Analysis Center
(MSISAC).
SOURCE National Cyber Security Alliance