Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Budget for PCI DSS SAQ D for Bookstore Operations

From: "Bazeley, Joseph E." <bazeleje () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 14:01:39 -0400

Can you get them to use PCI DSS SAQ C instead?  SAQ D means that they're storing credit card numbers, which will make
their PCI compliance effort require more resources and increases the likelihood of a breach leading to exposed credit
card numbers and the associated notification.  If they don't have an extremely good reason to store those credit card
numbers (and it needs to provide an associated benefit that outweighs the cost from doing so), they should quit storing
them.

Regards,
Joe

Joe Bazeley