Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Private Vlans

From: Rich Graves <rgraves () CARLETON EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:14:38 -0500

I have used PVLANs and VACLs for device VLANs -- printers, copiers, PCI terminals, presentation equipment. They both
help secure the network and remove the incentive to "borrow" the port for laptop use.

I don't see the classic "web hosting service" use case for PVLANs being very applicable to higher ed, though some large
university systems might run such a business.

If and only if your Windows desktops allow remote management, then I could see PVLANs being useful there, but it would
probably be easier to apply firewall/IPSec domain isolation through GPO.

I guess there's really two decision points here: Is it better to use PVLANs, or to create new subnets/(virtual)
firewall interfaces? Nowadays, the latter is usually easier. But given a flat network, do PVLANs help? Yes, they do.
--
Rich Graves http://claimid.com/rcgraves
Carleton.edu Sr UNIX and Security Admin