Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Private Vlans

From: Dennis Bohn <bohn () ADELPHI EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:01:38 -0400

We are in a position to make a few changes on our network, and are kicking
around the idea of private vlans on our server segments.  Our thoughts so
far are:

Advantages:
Prevent a compromised machine from nmapping the segment.
Make it harder (but not impossible) for the compromised machine to
communicate with other machines on the segment.
The idea of servers being isolated, and only able to communicate with the
gateway is attractive.

Disadvantages:
Time/energy to configure
Time/energy to maintain: no matter how much the server admin swears that
server A will never ever ever need to communicate with Server B, .... that
day will come!  It seems like the permutations of necessary server-to-server
communication could be prohibitive.

Has anyone tried this and are there any lessons learned that you would like
to share?

TIA,
Dennis Bohn
Manager of Network and Systems