Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Encryption

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:16:26 -0400

On 07/25/2011 02:52 PM, Kevin Casey wrote:
We've been encouraged by an outside security firm to encrypt every
blessed note that passes through our Exchange server.  This firm deals
largely with entities such as banks, and I'm wondering if this is
over-kill in the context of higher ed.

Any thoughts regarding "best practices" on this?

We run a filter on our mail exchange that bounces messages containing
"sensitive information", like SSN or PCI, back to the sender with a note
telling them to encrypt or find another avenue.

It seems like a good compromise, with a bit of user training thrown in.

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu