Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Encryption

From: David Curry <David.Curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 15:07:43 -0400

That's pretty extreme, even for banks. Encrypted e-mail is a huge hassle
from a management perspective:
How do you get the keys to the recipients? Symmetric keys (shared
secret) is unmanageable for all but a handful of users, but do you
really want to set up a PKI?
If you solve the key distribution problem, what about software? All the
world is not Windows, and not all Windows users use Outlook, either.
What do you do with recipients on Macs, Linux, Gmail, AOL, etc.?
E-mail is subject to e-Discovery, which means you may have to be able
to decrypt it later, even if whoever encrypted it isn't here any more
and didn't leave you the key.
Oh, and you may want to decrypt it in cases of employee misconduct,
etc., too.
When I worked in financial services (insurance and broker/dealer), we
required e-mail that contained personally identifiable information
(HIPAA, GLBA, Social Security numbers, etc.) to be encrypted, but
nothing else. And we used a third-party service (ZixCorp is one example)
to do it, so that we didn't have to mess with the keys.

I'm sure there's a bank somewhere that encrypts all their e-mail, but I
would be surprised if your vendor could name more than one in the Top 20
that do it.

--Dave

--
David A. Curry, CISSP • Director, Information Security
The New School • 55 West 13th St. • New York, NY 10011

Kevin Casey <CaseyK () HUSSON EDU> 7/25/2011 2:52 PM >>>

We've been encouraged by an outside security firm to encrypt every
blessed note that passes through our Exchange server.  This firm deals
largely with entities such as banks, and I'm wondering if this is
over-kill in the context of higher ed.

Any thoughts regarding "best practices" on this?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Casey
Executive Director