Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: CIPA Children Internet Protection Act

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:14:59 +0000

Our College of Education has a lab school for elementary students.  It functions as a long-waiting list charter school.
 (We put our first son on the waiting list when he was born and he still didn't get in.)  We assign the school it's own
subnet and it's own separate wireless space.  Both are behind a content filter that the school provided and we manage.
It helps that the K12 service is in a well defined physical space.  We also offer our regular secure wireless in that
space for access by staff with the appropriate login credentials.  They all understand that any student-facing access
needs to be behind the content filter and that requirement is normally assured by the tech support staff.

Bob Bayn          (435)797-2396            IT Security Team
We will never send you email asking for your password
(never, never, never with this one exception: NEVER!)
Office of Information Technology, Utah State University
       http://tinyurl.com/bicyclists-share-kidneys-v2-0
        USU employees - join the Phirst Phish Contest
     http://it.usu.edu/security/htm/phirst-phish-contest