Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rank My Hack

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 08:53:43 -0500

I signed up with an alias just to figure out this information. Their tool looks for a unique code the "hacker" inserts into the HTML of a web page. The code is in the following format:

<!--hacked by /username/ :: /codenumber/-->

codenumber in my case was a 9 digit decimal number.

They scanned for that code (I didn't put the code in a web page, but I had them scan for it on a test server) from IP address 217.23.15.103 (samoa.underhost.com). That address is one off from their website, 217.23.15.104 for what it's worth.

A signed in user gets access to a chat room that I didn't hang around in and to their bounties list. There were only a handful of entries there, nothing that really concerned me, just things like kukluxklan.com and www.bnp.org.uk. Unfortunately(?) the site is not responding at the moment so I can't get access to the full list.

Pretty lame overall, but I hope this helps someone.

Kevin