Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Information Security and IT Services for Fund-Raising Foundations

From: Dean Williams <dean.williams () UVM EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 12:31:53 -0400

Security Colleagues,

Many schools (including Rutgers, ISU, UNH, ASU, UConn and others) have established separately incorporated 501(c)(3)
foundations for their alumni and fund-raising functions.  The foundation passes funds raised along to the school, but
the people working in the foundation are not school employees.  That raises a whole bunch of questions about provision
of identity and infrastructure services, and of course about information security.

If your institution operates with a foundation, can you share what arrangements are in place for services including the
following, particularly for information security -- which responsibilities are with the school, and which are handled
by the foundation?

- Identity management (Network IDs, accounts, etc.)

- Network infrastructure

- File storage

- Email, calendars, collaboration tools

- End-user support

- Information security (policies, data sharing, network and server security, intrusion protection/detection,
workstation protection, incident handling, and so on)

We're trying to think through the potential issues and develop both short-term and long-term plans for how IT services
and security will be provided, so we're hoping to learn whatever we can from the experience of those who've gone
before.   Any light you can shed, either on the Security list or privately, would be most welcome.

Best regards,
Dean Williams, GSLC

Information Security Officer
Enterprise Technology Services