Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Email Preservation / Discovery Approval Processes

From: Sean Maher <seanm () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:48:07 -0500

We're in the process of re-evaluating our email discovery and preservation procedures, and I wanted to get a better
understanding of how other higher-education institutions handle these requests. Here are some of the things that I
would interested in learning from everyone:

1.       What is your formal process? Specifically, what is the path for submitting, reviewing, and authorizing
discovery/legal-hold requests?

2.       What do you like about your process (what works)?

3.       What challenges do you face in your process? What could be improved?

If you would feel more comfortable sharing off-list or via phone, feel free to contact me off-list with the contact
information I've included below.

Thank you,
Sean Maher
UAB Information Security
(205) 410-8463, seanm () uab edu<mailto:seanm () uab edu>