Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Change Password on Next Login via Web

From: Matt Giannetto <MGiannetto () MC3 EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:19:13 -0400

Folks,

We’re trying to improve our registration process via the web and are running into a roadblock.  I’m hoping I can poll
the group and find out how other schools are tackling this problem.

Our goal is to be able to have the ability to force users to change their password on first/next login after they
authenticate to our SharePoint web portal.  The big limitation we’re currently running into is that when the “Change
password on next login” is flagged in Active Directory, all of our web services consider the account as locked and
won’t let them authenticate.  We’re also looking for something that can help facilitate password expiration, such as
emailing the user, "Your password will change in X number of days, please click here to change it".  If it makes a
difference, we also use Forefront Identity Management.

We currently use Courion to manage self-service password resets.  I’ve reached out to them to see if their product
could help us tackle this issue, but unfortunately it does not.

We’re looking for a technique or a tool that can help us get past this issue.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Matt Giannetto
Director of IT Security
Montgomery County Community College
mgiannetto () mc3 edu | (215) 619-7442

Montgomery County Community College is proud to be
the #1 ranked technology-savvy community college in the nation,
as determined by the Center for Digital Education and Converge magazine.