Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Multiple ISPs and Traffic Shaping

From: "Kundert, Robin" <rkundert () SPU EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:34:56 -0700

Greetings from Seattle Pacific University.

I'm reaching out to a couple of EDUCAUSE groups to seek some advise and help with a project we currently have underway.

We are adding a second ISP connection and thereby almost doubling our bandwidth to 500 Mbps total.  Of course we expect
that our bandwidth needs will continue to grow and are planning appropriately.  The new ISP connection will enter our
campus in separate building.

If all we were doing was implementing BGP and a few firewall changes, that would not be so challenging.  However, we
also need to re-architect our bandwidth shaping solution.  Currently we are using a BlueCoat PacketShaper but are
exploring various solutions including those from BlueCoat, Exinda and Procera.  Regardless of the solution chosen the
device may need to handle and shape traffic on each (different size) "pipe" using separate policies.

I am wondering if there are other institutions that have implemented a similar setup and would be willing to share how
they accomplished these goals.  As you can imagine we are quite budget conscious and right now I'm trying to figure out
how we can shape, firewall and route traffic (BGP to steer things a bit) on each "pipe" without having to buy multiple
of each device or creating some crazy VLAN structure shuttling traffic back and forth between buildings.

Thank you for any advice or thoughts you can offer.

-- Robin D. Kundert
   Sr. Network Analyst/Administrator
   Seattle Pacific University
   Computer & Information Systems Dept.
   3307 Third Ave. West,  Suite 206, Seattle, WA 98119-195
   email: rkundert () spu edu<mailto:rkundert () spu edu>
   voice: 206.281.2507