Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: The VPN question

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:40:43 -0500

I'd like some feedback on how people deal with a problem that's plagued us (and it may just be not knowing a good
configuration).

We have lots of roles to get people into the right FW zone for their department.    We basically keep an access-list of
users <> departments.  One issue that hits us with this design is users that reside in more than one department
generally require the creation of a separate role.   Sometimes, it's acceptable for them to not be doing the same role
at the same time and they could just "select" the group they expected to be in.

Unfortunately, RADIUS just spits out a group name they should be in and we end up with a "first match" behavior.

If this sounds like a common problem to you, please let me know how you target your groups in your areas.

Thanks,
Chris