Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 802.1x Question

From: Christian Heroux <Christian.Heroux () ETSMTL CA>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:59:26 -0400

Hello!

I have see this problem encounter by another university during a presentation. They seem to have done it in 2 steps!

Authenticating the machine give you access to the Active Directory vlan.

Then authenticating the user then give you access to the right vlan according to your profile.

Not sure if that would help in your case

Only the AAA or network device need access Active directory during the 802.1x authentication process...not the end user
computer.

We are looking to implement 802.1x only public jack so we don`t go that far to switch the user into another vlan...for
the moment

Cordialement

Christian Héroux Ing., M.Ing., ITIL

Section systèmes, infrastructures et télécommunications

École de Technologie Supérieure

Montréal Qc

Canada

Courriel: christian.heroux () etsmtl ca <mailto:jean-charles.cazale () etsmtl ca>

Téléphone:(514) 396-8800 ext 7863