Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vendor Wants Access To Institution Database

From: Barbara Torney <bt42 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:28:43 -0500

We use Apply Yourself for applications, and the data gets loaded into an intermediate location, then pushed into
Banner.  Same deal for Cashnet: when posting a payment to Banner, it bounces through our SSB server.  Our Banner
servers are not open to the internet; separate vlan.  Regards, bat

"Self, Dennis" <dlself () SAMFORD EDU> wrote:

Samford University operates one Banner system for all colleges, eight schools.  Our law school operates an admissions
product called ACES2.  They offer a server that uploads admissions data into the Banner system with insert and write
capability.  Of course, this would also give access to read the data.  The data includes demographics for all
constituents of the institution, that is employees, students and alumni, past and present, as well as admissions and
general student data.  Further, this includes access to SSN data and test scores (FERPA implications).  To date we
have not allowed the access.

We are struggling with the decision to allow an outside firm/server to have access to such a vast amount of
institution data.  I would like to hear if you have dealt with the decision to allow/disallow similar access and your
rationale, please.

Dennis Self
Director, IT Security & Compliance
Samford University