Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Secure Replacement for BlackBerry Secure PIN Messages

From: Lewis Noles <lnoles () UGA EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:06:22 +0000

On our campus, there is a desire to begin planning for moving customers from a BES/BlackBerry environment to an
ActiveSync Device environment with iPhones, Android devices, etc..  However, one of the outstanding issues is finding a
secure replacement for PIN messaging available on the BlackBerry.

The desire is something that does not require us to host a server for the connection.  There is some discussion of
using SMS messaging.  However, is it secure enough?

We have done some research and found the following two products:

http://www.gomycell.com/

http://www.tigertext.com/

Before I do a lot testing.  I wanted to see if the consensus is that is a good path to go down.  Or, are there better
ways to do this?

Thanks,

Lewis Noles
Information Technology Professional
Enterprise Information Technology Services
lnoles () uga edu<mailto:lnoles () uga edu>