Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Data Loss Prevention Email Screening S/W Feedback Request

From: "Conlee, Keith" <Conlee () COD EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:20:52 -0600

I am looking for feedback regarding Data Loss Prevention screening software for outgoing email which would screen the
body of the email and any attachments.  Possibly even screening file content sent to flash drives, external hard
drives, etc.  I know of some products like Vontu and others, but I am looking for feedback like (1) best value for the
money, (2) ease of installing, (3) richness of features, (4) ease of configuring, (5) working with the vendor, (6)
amount of operating resources for monitoring (I know that probably depends on how tight or loose you have the screening
filter set).  And any other feedback you might have regarding this type of software, like gotcha's or user pushback,
etc.  All help and feedback would be appreciated.  If you just want to contact me individually, that would be fine.  If
you think others might be interested then reply to all.  If others are interested, I would aggregate the feedback after
a few weeks and send it back to those interested or just to all.

Keith Conlee, JD, CISSP, CISA, CBCP
Chief Security Officer, IT
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd.