Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Estimated 30 days until the last IPv4 /8's get handed to the RIRs

From: Joe St Sauver <joe () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:12:49 -0800

Hi,

Just a friendly reminder that we're now down to an estimated 30 days until
the last IPv4 /8's will likely get handed out to ARIN, APNIC, RIPE, LACNIC
and AFRINIC (see the counter/projection at www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/ )

If you have any additional legitimate requirements for IPv4 address space,
now would be an excellent time to get those requests submitted. Please
note that it is NOT my intent to encourage anyone to request space that
they don't legitimately need, but neither do I think that you should
mistakenly attempt to "be noble" and pretend you don't have a genuine need
if you legitimately do.

Also, if you've not yet been planning for how you'll work with IPv6 in
the months and years going forward, that might be another excellent
item to get added to your security planning to-do list.

Regards,

Joe St Sauver (joe () oregon uoregon edu)
http://pages.uoregon.edu/joe
Disclaimer: all opinions expressed are my own