Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: vpn split tunnel or no split tunnel

From: Nick Kartsioukas <lists.educause.security () CHANGE NIGHTWIND NET>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:09:00 -0800

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 13:58 -0600, "Mark Monroe" <markm196 () NETSCAPE NET>
wrote:
We are architecting a new vpn service on campus and some people want
split tunneling and some do not. I am not 100% sure either way. Anyone
have any examples or data that might push me either way?

Reasons for split tunnelling: Quicker access to non-VPN resources (such
as refreshing perezhilton.com every 18 seconds), reduced bandwidth usage
by VPN endpoint, permit access to local resources like home networked
printers and storage.
Reasons against split tunnelling: Ability to analyze/filter all traffic
from the client, for example protection against a zombie relaying
information from behind the VPN to an outside party.
--
Nick Kartsioukas
Cuesta College Computer Services