Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: iPad / mobile device security and policy

From: Marty Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:19:31 -0500

Lewis,

We are considering using ActiveSynch to push a basic security policy out
to personally-owned mobile devices as a condition to getting access to
institutional business records.

We currently do this with Blackberries that are managed through our own
BES server.

We have a campus Information Security Council whose membership includes
the major data owners (Registrar, HR, Accounting, etc.). That's the
governance body that will formulate the policy requiring
personally-owned devices to comply with the acceptance of the security
policy.

This is all in the planning stages but that is the direction and the
control mechanism that we are looking to implement.