Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Survey sites used for Phishing attacks

From: Ram Smith <ram.smith () SCU EDU AU>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:36:32 +1100

Hi,

Just a heads up. The last Phishing attack we received used a "legitimate" survey site to solicit account information. With the increasing use of "The Cloud"/ Web 2.0 we are seeing the boundaries of what would be perceived by student and staff as legitimate correspondence from our University.

This attack made it through our spam filters too. There was no dodgy ReplyTo field, the url was a legitimate business and from where i sit no way of knowing if anyone had responded either.

I'm in the process of redefining our response to include some form of URL blocking involving the network team. But this needs to be as automated as possible.

Cheers,

ram

--
Ram Smith