Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Chapel Hill researcher demoted after security breach

From: Allen Barrett <sabarrett () HARDING EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 15:29:18 -0500

In a word...no.  Not in my opinion....

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Doty, Timothy T. <tdoty () mst edu> wrote:

While the article read to me as being biased in favor of the researcher I
think it illustrates important issues.

Are we as security professionals effectively and accurately communicating
vulnerability information to users? Especially to users who may lack the
background and mindset for understanding it?

It seems to me that a good part of the researcher's argument rests on her
being held responsible for managing a system that she was not equipped to
evaluate the management of. At the same time, I know we have researchers
who
insist on this sort of autonomy. Is it really in the researcher's or the
institution's best interest to allow that?

Tim Doty