Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

New Targeted Phish Attack

From: Dave Koontz <dkoontz () MBC EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 12:50:00 -0500

Just a heads up, several of our users have reported receiving a new
targeted phish email pretending to be from our domain.  The provided
link goes to a site that looks identical to our customized MBC Google
Apps login page.  The only only clue to end users is that the link goes
to  http://lisafoxexercise.com <http://lisafoxexercise.com/>  rather
than our domain.  You may want to be on the look out for similar
messages to your organization. (link de-fanged).  The sender email
address is also bogus, but may look real to a user.

-- Sample Message --

From: Mary Baldwin College <eresource () mbc edu <mailto:eresource () mbc edu>>

    Welcome to Mary Baldwin College

This is to inform you that your Mary Baldwin College Webmail
profile needs to be updated.
To access your Mary Baldwin College Webmail Secure profile,

click on the link below:
_
_*_Update Your Profile Account_*

Thanks For Your Co-operation.