Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: USB Keyloggers

From: Will Froning <will.froning () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:49:26 +0400

Hello Brad,

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Brad Judy <win-hied () bradjudy com> wrote:
These programs do not protect against USB keyloggers.  These programs are
designed to address any USB devices that trigger driver state changes and
USB keyloggers are designed to be passive in-line devices that are invisible
to the computer.  Your only real protections are physical security and
visual inspection.

I've investigated one of the recovered devices and it actually has a
Texas Instruments USB hub chip installed.  So it does show up as an
additional device.  I haven't gotten around to testing if the other
device we've recovered acts as a hub also, but in theory we could deny
all devices except for the mouse and keyboard.

I'm not sure how easy it is for these keyloggers to change device IDs,
but if it's trivial we would be SOL.

For podiums, lock the computer into a cabinet and provide a USB cable for
connecting thumbdrives.  This prevents devices from being installed in-line
with the keyboard.

For us it's the amount of time to get this solution in place.  It
would likely take us at least 3 months.

Some vendors offer attachments for the back side of computers that lock into
place and prevent users from accessing the rear ports or messing with
cables.  I know Dell has offered this for their Optiplex line in the past (I
haven't looked lately).

Mounting lab computers so the ports are readily visible makes it easier for
lab techs to notice if anything is out of the ordinary.  It usually means
they are easier to service too, but it might not be as aesthetically
pleasing.

Agreed.

Thanks,
Will