Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Open Source workstation inventory tools: GLPI and OCS-NG

From: Martin Manjak <mm376 () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 13:53:37 -0500

We're looking to see if there are any viable open source products that
will provide accurate inventory results (hardware/software) for
workstations.

Two products that were mentioned in-house were GLPI and OCS-NG.

We're curious as to whether anyone has had any experience with either of
these products, or any other open source tools that will collect and
manage data on the state of a workstation.

For reference, some commercial tools we've examined include Altiris and
Kaseya.

I'll be happy to summarize comments and post to the list if people want
to contact me directly at mm376 () albany edu

Marty

Martin Manjak
Information Security Officer
University at Albany
CISSP, GSEC, GCWN

"What information consumes...is the attention of its recipients."
Herbert Simon, 1971