Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

data security policies for research data

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:14:47 -0600

About two months ago there was a news article where a researcher at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill had
a server with confidential information for her research project get hacked.  We have a committee for the Protection of
Human Subjects, and while we require that all information should be kept confidential, I'm looking for some best
practices from other schools, especially for student research data.

For faculty, we can make a policy stating that all research information must be stored on their personal network space.
 For students, this becomes a bigger issue, because we have a main campus, ~35 remote campuses, and an on-line campus.
For research being done by students how do you make sure their data is kept confidential?  Do you require data to not
include any personal identifying information such as first name/last name, to be stored on encrypted USB drives (is
this provided by the college or does the student need to provide their own), provide loaner laptops that have whole
disk encryption installed, etc?

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist
Information Technology Security Engineer
Technology Services
Columbia College
1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
(573) 875-7334