Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop encryption experiences

From: "Everett, Alex D" <alex.everett () UNC EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:40:06 +0000

Alan:

The laptop must store sensitive data or data that would significantly damage the reputation of the University if the
data was exposed.
We have a public description of sensitive data at: http://help.unc.edu/6475

Sincerely,

Alex Everett
ITS Security
University of North Carolina

On Nov 15, 2010, at 11:32 AM, Alan Bowen wrote:

At TCNJ, we've been in the alpha/pilot phase of a laptop full disk encryption project for a very long time.  We are
grappling with the complexities and resource requirements for encrypting our entire laptop inventory.  I'd like to
know what types of parameters schools use for a "litmus test" to determine if a given laptop needs to be encrypted.
Also, data on the number of laptops that have been encrypted over a time period, e.g. month or semester, would be
very useful.  Any extenuating circumstances or qualifiers outside of these questions would be much appreciated as
well.  Thanks.

-Alan
--
Alan Bowen