Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: policy question?

From: "Dr. Wole Akpose" <wole.akpose () MORGAN EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 08:15:35 -0400

The key is to ensure that machines that connect to your network meet
whatever security-requirements you have in place to protect against and
mitigate threats. Our experience is that by requiring that machines meet a
basic set of requirement, and using NAC for enforcement, we have been able
to limit the number of infections due to "strange" machines.

If data loss prevention is not your objective here, this might be
sufficient. If however, you have DLP concern, your worries might go beyond
staff and their personal computers on University campus network. Also
regarding student access to confidential information, when presented with
this kind of question, I always ask back "who is a student?" In our school
where many administrators return to class to get that next degree, do you
stop them from doing their jobs?

A general policy of need to know, and one that hold users accountable may be
more valuable than a blanket ban.

I realize that every institution is different, and that reality, more than
anything else should dictate the exact wordings of your policy.

Wole Akpose.

Morgan State University.