Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: policy question?

From: "SCHALIP, MICHAEL" <mschalip () CNM EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:35:23 -0600

Excellent question - we were just wondering about this ourselves!!  We've got faculty and staff bringing in personal
equipment and asking us to connect them to the "business network".  In some cases - we've complied - but now, I'm
asking whether this is appropriate.  It even comes down to asking us to install software on a college-owned system to
allow them to sync their personal cell phone with the system (e-mail, calendars, etc.)  For the most part - this is
pretty benign, but what if they sync a message that has FERPA, budget, or other flavors of data in it?

Thanks.....looking forward to the responses....