Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Education sector most affected by malware

From: Joel Rosenblatt <joel () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 11:01:36 -0400

Not that I don't believe them, but I am always suspect of statements made by vendors - the assumption made is that they represent enough of the total AV business that they can state unequivocally that .edu owns 44% of the malware may or may not be true - I know that, for one, we do not use their product, and from a Gartner report I found, they had about 14% of the total AV market in 2005 <http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=493858>, so, if we say that their share has increased to, lets say, 20% since then, we are really talking about 44% of 20% ... I always look at the source of these numbers .. the saying is, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

My 2 cents

Joel