Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted P2P was: RIAA complaints error?

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 09:15:16 -0400

On Friday 01 October 2010 08:18:58 David L. Rotman wrote:
We have received four notices over the last month, but all *appear*
to be defective.  We have verified that the protocols cited in the
notices (Ares, Limewire) do not work on our campus network.

Hi Dave, I'm curious - do you (or any other schools that are
blocking/throttling P2P) detect/block SSL-encrypted P2P over ports 80
and 443?

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox, GCIH
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems