Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NAC for all wired and wireless networks

From: "Aaron S. Thompson" <athompson () BERKLEE EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:49:52 -0400

Hi All:

Our design has four flavors of wireless and touches a few of the topics that we are all reviewing.

Berklee-Staff
Berklee-Student
Berklee-Sponsored
Berklee-Guest

All are campus wide with Staff and Student being unrestricted utilizing 802.1x (TTLS-WPA2-EAS) for authentication and
encryption.  We have found little need for any kind of posture checking as we are 99% OS X.

Berklee-Sponsored is a captive portal type connection that requires a specific LDAP privilege for a staff member to
authenticate the connection.  This is centrally controlled and utilizes a trust model for identity concerns with email
receipts, heavy logging and tracking.

Berklee-Guest is similar but it's a generic internet connection with traffic restrictions/shaping and the sponsorship
privilege is open to any Faculty, Staff or Student.

There is a capability to have posture checking, quarantine and remediation services if your interested.

This is all done via open source with no controller at a very low cost. (minus access points!)  The system is very
scaleable and maintains max throughput of the access points.  We use FreeRadius, OpenLDAP and PacketFence.

If anyone would like to know more on what we are doing feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Aaron

-
Aaron Thompson