Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

NAC for all wired and wireless networks

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:54:30 -0400

We are researching alternatives for assessing endpoint security of end user devices (not servers) connecting to our wired and wireless networks. We're primarily concerned with desktops and laptops and assessing 1. OS patch level and 2. an acceptable antivirus product is installed, running and that the software and virus definitions are recent.

Student workstations and a large percentage of employee workstations are not centrally managed. Authentication is required to access our wireless networks, but is not currently required to access our wired networks. Because of this, a network solution is a better fit than an endpoint solution. The university has roughly 32,000 students and 10,000 employees.

We currently use Cisco NAC on our residential network only. Deploying that across the enterprise is cost-prohibitive and Cisco is recommending a different solution than what we have deployed.

Have you deployed a solution or compensating controls with similar scope? Have you researched alternatives? Any details you can provide concerning your deployments, research or experience pursuing solutions would be helpful, as would pointers to any particular institutions you're aware of who have successfully deployed a solution.

I'm also particularly interested in whether you have any experience with PacketFence (http://www.packetfence.org/en/home.html), which is an open source NAC.

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer