Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless access by users with multiple devices

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:19:45 -0400

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Doty, Timothy T. wrote:

The main problem we've had with wireless devices is that users often won't
register them. To facilitate the registration process we have a certain
number of IP addresses reserved for unregistered systems - basically no
Internet access but they can get to the online registration form. The issue
is that this is often "good enough" access for the user and they just don't
bother to register. Or they aren't aware/don't care that the device is
proactively acquiring a wireless IP address. Which means that the
unregistered IP address pool gets exhausted. To help with this issue if a
system stays on an unregistered IP address for too long it is automatically
registered in a way to deny any DHCP requests. It helps, but does not
resolve issue.

Our unregistered wireless devices get an address from our internal
net 10 IP address space.  We don't run out of those addresses, and
we are not too concerned if the user can live in this addresss space
and not register.

Mike

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V
IT/NSS
University of Delaware

-
Mike Porter
PGP Fingerprint: F4 AE E1 9F 67 F7 DA EA  2F D2 37 F3 99 ED D1 C2