Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

National Cyber Security Awareness Month @ Morgan State University

From: "Dr. Wole Akpose" <wole.akpose () MORGAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 22:35:18 -0400

At Morgan State University, we mark the month with some activities including
increasing blogging activities on cyber security, placing posters across,
organizing cyber security competition; and this year we plan to expand on
this tradition.

On Tuesday, October 26, 2010, we will host a daylong conference on Cyber
Security in collaboration with the IEEE Computer Society - Baltimore
Section. We are also running a Cyber Security awareness competition for
students (high school and college students) in Maryland.

The conference is expected to attract students, faculty members and people
from industry to the campus for a day of conversation on Securing your data
and identity on social network sites. We are expecting speakers from
industry and academia for the event.

The competition includes an essay on "Securing your data and identity on
social network sites", and a video blog on the same topic. Students are
encouraged to be creative but civil. High school students are also
encouraged to work in groups. Winners of the competition will be announced
at the conference and the winning entries will be featured on Morgan's Cyber
Security Awareness website -http://msusac.morgan.edu  (being redesigned).

During the month of October, we will also place posters on bulletin boards
across the campus, make presentations to departmental meeting and work to
elevate campus-wide conversations on how to be safe online.

WEAA (the University affiliated radio station) has agreed to work with us
throughout the month to advertise our activities and we are also working
with public relations to increase visibility of the events of the month.

Wole Akpose - CISO, Morgan State University.