Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IM trojan

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:10:51 -0400

Jesse Thompson wrote:
It would be interesting to find out if organizations that maintain their
own IM system (Jabber/XMPP or otherwise) are less susceptible to this
type of threat.

If an organization does not offer a local IM service, do employees use
the "big" IM services to communicate, and does that make the
organization more vulnerable?

Conversely, if an organization has a local IM services, do a significant
number of employees still sign in to the "big" IM services while they
are at work anyway?

Jesse

I can't remember the last time I saw a student using IM - unlimited
texting plans and Facebook chat seem to have killed it, at least around
here.