Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset utility/appliance??

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:30:03 -0400

SCHALIP, MICHAEL wrote:
Hi folks.....

We're havin' fits.....simple password resets are eating us alive.  We
run Banner/Luminus ("myCNM" portal), and an Active Directory/LDAP.
Luminus authenticates through Active Directory - so there is a single
authorization mechanism, but.....we are spending a HUGE amount of time
simply trying to manage student passwords.  Luminus has a password reset
capability that we're using (it supposedly resets the passwords directly
in AD, but there seems to be a time lag or it simply isn't working in
some cases??)

What I'm wondering - what kind of software utility or appliance you all
are using to allow students to perform their own password
resets.......and, do you like it?....love it?.....hate it?

Thanks,

Michael

We use an in-house web application that authenticates the user against
our Sun LDAP implementation, and then pushes out the requested password
reset to the different directories we use (Sun, eDirectory, AD) using
standard LDAPS.

Do you have in-house developers who might be capable of rolling
something like this?

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu