Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self-service password reset utility/appliance??

From: "Moore, Frank" <moorefx () LONGWOOD EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:25:57 -0400

Michael,

We wrote a typical password reset program in house that has a web GUI in front of an Oracle database. It is the usually
"several personal questions" to answer in order to authenticate and make the change/reset.

We have advertised this heavily over the years, but for the most part, students don't use it. They elect to reset by
either calling the helpdesk or coming in to see us. Our heavy reset periods are the week or so before a semester begins
through the first week of classes each semester.

Good luck!

Frank Moore

F. X. Moore III, Ph.D.
Vice President-CIO and Chief Privacy Officer
Longwood University
201 High Street
Farmville, VA 23909

[voice] 434.395.2034
[fax]   434.395.2035

moorefx () longwood edu
http://www.longwood.edu

IITS will never ask for your password in an email.
Don't ever email your password to anyone!